Albany, N.Y. | State Doubles Number of Medical Marijuana Providers
It’s about to get a whole lot easier to buy quality weed (err, my bad – medical marijuana) in New York. Five new medical marijuana distributors have just been approved to operate in the state. This effectively doubles the number of state sanctioned medical marijuana distributors from five to ten.
The newly authorized distributors include Fiorello Pharmaceuticals, who plan to open at least one dispensary in Midtown Manhattan. Other locations being considered by the company are one in Uptown and another in Long Island.
There are over 25,000 certified medical marijuana patients in the state of New York. That’s a 72% jump since just this past March – when chronic pain was added to the list of the state’s qualifying medical conditions. More than 1,100 health practitioners are now able to prescribe medical marijuana in the state of New York.
Official word from the state
New York State Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker was recently quoted as saying “The New York State Department of Health is committed to growing the state’s Medical Marijuana Program responsibly.” The Commissioner went on to say, “The addition of these registered organizations will make it easier for patients across the state to obtain medical marijuana.” [Quotes courtesy New York Post]
Dr. Zucker also indicated that the increased competition brought on by these five new suppliers, should drive medical marijuana prices down. Under state law, each new company may open as many as four dispensaries.
The new companies granted permission to operate in the state are:
- Fiorello Pharmaceuticals – operating out of Schenectady County, will be dispensing in Monroe, Nassau, New York, and Saratoga Counties.
- New York Canna (dba Terradiol NY) – operates out of Onondaga County, will be dispensing in Suffolk, Queens, Orange and Erie Counties.
- Citiva Medical – operating out of Orange County, will be dispensing in King, Richmond, Dutchess and Chemung Counties.
- Valley Agriceuticals – also operating out of Orange County, will be dispensing in Oneida, Dutchess, Kings and Suffolk Counties.
- PalliaTech NY – operating out of Ulster County, will be dispensing in Suffolk, Dutchess, Kings and Oneida Counties.
It will likely take another 9-12 months for these new marijuana dispensaries to come online in the state. In the meantime, consider joining our newsletter for weekly updates on medical marijuana news, views and research …